Call for Nominations for Board of Directors and Committees
The Ottawa Board of Trade (OBoT) is looking for business leaders who want to make a difference in our region by advocating for policies, priorities and programs that foster a competitive business environment and help Ottawa businesses grow. OBoT is a member driven, impact focused, non-profit and non-partisan business association serving as the primary voice for business in Ottawa and the region.
The Board of Directors are responsible for setting the strategic vision, key policies, and economic priorities. The work of the Board is accomplished by engaging volunteers who work through the Board, committees and a professional staff team led by the CEO. Members of the Board of Directors are uniquely positioned as the primary ambassadors of the Board of Trade, supporting the vision and strategic plan by representing the organization in their networks, contributing to advocacy and economic committees, attending events, engaging their colleagues, and making referrals.
We are seeking volunteers to serve a two-year term beginning in June 2022. The priority is to attract a high level, diverse and skilled group of individuals who are aligned with our mission, vision, and values. We are committed to creating a diverse board including considerations of skill set, business sector and size, race, gender, visible minorities and age. These individuals will be visionary, innovative, and eager to promote the strategic goals of the organization. We will give preference to individuals who can demonstrate the desire, capability, and capacity to support the goals outlined in our Strategic Plan. All candidates must be a member in good standing or be willing to become one.
- Established in 1857 and recently consolidated all Ottawa Chambers of Commerce to create one Board of Trade
- Nearly 1,000 members of all business size and sectors, over 100 volunteers and a staff team of seven
- Active participation with the Ontario Chamber of Commerce and the Canadian Chamber of Commerce who advocate at the provincial/federal levels
- Host several events including networking events and keynotes, summits, workshops and awards shows
- Primary focus is growing the advocacy to all three levels of government, economic development work and helping businesses grow and be recognized
VOLUNTEER & LEADERSHIP CHARACTERISTICS
- Act with honesty, loyalty, care, diligence, skill and prudence;
- Be committed to the vision and mission, and strategic priorities of the Ottawa Board;
- Be engaged and have the time to serve and contribute to the Board and committees which includes monthly meetings and events;
- Be collaborative
- Have the ability to express a business community perspective
- Demonstrate ability to take initiative, lead and be an open minded and respectful team member
- Possess skills and knowledge to support the Board in achieving its organizational strategies
NOMINATION AND ELECTION PROCESS
Please forward your expression of interest and bio to Sueling Ching, President and CEO, at email@example.com prior to April 30th, 2022. We will ask you to complete a survey questionnaire no later than May 7th, 2022. The nominations committee will be submitting a slate of recommended candidates to the Board of Directors no later than early June. The Board of Directors will then submit a slate of recommended candidates to the members at at our Annual General Meeting scheduled for June 23rd.